ROBERT BURNIER (American, b. 1969) lives and works in Chicago, IL. Burnier received an MFA from the School of the Art Institute in 2016 and a BS in Computer Science from Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania in 1991. Recent solo exhibitions include ANDREW RAFACZ (Chicago, IL), The Arts Club of Chicago (Chicago, IL), and Elastic Arts (Chicago, IL). Recent group exhibitions include David B. Smith Gallery (Denver, CO), LVL3 Gallery (Chicago, IL), Vacation (New York, NY), Korn Gallery at Drew University (Madison, NJ), Mana Contemporary (Chicago, IL), The Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago, IL), and Elmhurst Art Museum (Elmhurst, IL). Independent Curators International commissioned a series of works that were presented at NADA Miami (2014) and NADA New York (2015) respectively. His large-scale installation Black Tiberinus on Chicago’s riverfront was unveiled in 2018. Burnier has exhibited at art fairs in Chicago, Miami, New York, Mexico City, and Copenhagen. He will be included in group exhibitions at Massey Klein Gallery (New York, NY) and Corvi-Mora (London, UK), and will have a solo exhibition at David B. Smith Gallery (Denver, CO) in 2021.
- ‘Mayor Emanuel and DCASE Announce New Public Art Installation by Chicago-Based Artist Robert Burnier’, Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, December 2018 (PDF)
- ‘Black Tiberinus is coming to the Chicago Riverwalk’, Chicago Tribune, July 2018 , (PDF)
- ‘In Profile: Robert Burnier’, Newcity Art, January 2016 , (PDF)
- ‘Breakout Artists 2016’, Newcity Art, April 2016 , (PDF)
- ‘In and Out of Virtual Space: An Interview with Robert Burnier’, Bad at Sports, February 2014 , (PDF)