MELISSA LEANDRO (American, b. 1989) lives and works in Chicago, IL. Leandro received an MFA in 2017 and a BFA in 2012, both from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. She has been an artist in residence at The Atlantic Center for the Arts, The Ragdale Foundation, The Jacquard Center, Chicago Artist Coalition, and The Weaving Mill. She has received awards including the Windgate-Lamar Fellowship from the Center for Craft, the Craft Fellowship from the Illinois Arts Council, and is currently a 2021 Chicago Artadia Awards Finalist. Recent solo exhibitions include ANDREW RAFACZ (Chicago, IL), The University Club of Chicago (Chicago, IL), Union League Club of Chicago (Chicago, IL), Rockford University (Rockford, IL) and the Wright Museum of Art (Beloit, WI). Recent group exhibitions include DePaul Art Museum (Chicago, IL), MCC Art Gallery (Mesa, AZ), Monaco Gallery (St.Louis, MO), Mana Contemporary (Chicago, IL), Heaven Gallery (Chicago, IL), Hyde Park Arts Center (Chicago, IL), Tile Blush Gallery (Miami, FL), La Esquina Gallery (Kansas City, MO), and The Central Museum of Textiles (Łódź, Poland). In 2020 Leandro was curated by Julie Rodrigues Widholm to present a solo project with ANDRW RAFACZ at Frieze Viewing Room for the Chicago Tribute presentation.
- ‘Julie Rodrigues Widholm Joins Frieze New York 2020’, Frieze, January 15 2020
- ‘Los tejidos de Melissa Leandro’, Contratiempo, July 5 2019 , (PDF)
- ‘Welcome to Melissa Leandro's Miami’, Chicago Tribune, January 25 2018 , (PDF)
- ‘Cultural Influences Inspire Melissa Leandro’s Works’, Luxe Magazine, June 28 2018 , (PDF)
- ‘Break out Artist of the Year: Melissa Leandro’, New City Magazine, April 26 2018 , (PDF)
- ‘Melissa Leandro Constructs Narratives of Hybridity Through Experimental Textiles’, Informality, November 11 2016 , (PDF)