DANIEL SHEA (American, b. 1985) lives and works in New York City, NY. Shea received an MFA in 2013 from the University of Illinois at Chicago and a BFA in 2007 from the Maryland Institute College of Art. Recent solo exhibitions include Foam Fotografiemuseum (Amsterdam, NL), Webber Gallery (London, UK), and Andrew Rafacz (Chicago, IL). Recent group exhibitions include Vava Gallery (Mian, IT) and the Museum of Contemporary Photography (Chicago, IL). He was a resident artist at Light Work (Syracuse, NY) and is currently exhibiting in the United States pavilion of the 2021 Venice Architecture Biennale. Recent monographs include Ex Nihilo, In Other Words Press (2019) and 43-35 10th Street, Kodoji Press (2018). He is the 2018 recipient of the Foam Paul Huf Award.
His work is included in numerous public and private collections.
- ‘Celebrating the Very American Style of Building with Wood’, The New York Times, Spring 2021 , (PDF)
- ‘Daniel Shea: A Purpose-Built Citadel of Economic Despair’, American Suburb X, October 2018 , (PDF)
- ‘“Seductive and Disconcerting” Daniel Shea (US) wins Foam Paul Huf Award 2018’, Foam Fotografiemuseum, March 2018 (PDF)
- ‘Daniel Shea wins the Foam Paul Huf Award 2018’, British Journal of Photography, March 2018 , (PDF)
- ‘The Critical Role of the Artist in Our Entangled World’, LensCulture, , (PDF)
- ‘Daniel Shea, 43-35 10th Street’, Collector Daily, July 2018 , (PDF)
- ‘Photographing Neoliberalism: A Conversation with Daniel Shea’, The Glass Block, April 2017 , (PDF)
- ‘The U.S. Open Is Equal Parts Sport and Fantasy’, Vogue, September 2017 , (PDF)
- ‘From colonialism to Soviet brutalism, Daniel Shea captures Havana’s unique landscape’, Wallpaper*, August 2016 , (PDF)
- ‘Interview: Daniel Shea’, Paper Journal, March 2015 , (PDF)
- ‘An Interview with Daniel Shea @ Unseen- “The Elasticity of Photography”’, American Suburb X, September 2015 (PDF)